Air Canada is the largest flag carrier airline in Canada. At times when some passengers are already flying high, some are struggling with the steps of flight booking. One of the concerns of many passengers is, Does Air Canada allow passengers to select seats? As per Air Canada seat selection policy, one can easily select seats during flight booking. And, in case you skip the seat selection at the time of booking, you can do it later by logging into your Air Canada account.
Similarly, there are many things passengers must know about the seat selection procedure of Air Canada. In this blog, we will discuss many questions related to Air Canada select seats or choose preferred seats. So, stick to the page till the end.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Choose Seats on Air Canada Flights?
- 2 How to Reserve Best Seat on Air Canada?
- 3 Air Canada Seating Options : Unveiling Luxurious
- 4 How to Purchase Preferred Seats on Air Canada?
- 5 Air Canada Seat Selection Fee
- 5.1 Basic economy v/s Premium Air Canada Seats
- 5.2 People Asked Questions FAQs
How to Choose Seats on Air Canada Flights?
Air Canada allows passengers to get/ pick the seats they want from the Air Canada Airbus seat map. It feels like the best thing when flying on long-haul flights. But, there are some limitations that every passenger must know before they step into the seat selection process.
- Regardless of the fare type, all passengers can choose seats on Air Canada flights.
- You can choose the seats when booking, after booking, and before printing the boarding pass.
- Passengers must pay a seat selection fee to get their preferred seats.
- You can pick standard seats free of cost from the availability list.
- Seat selection is completely free for passengers with elite or frequent flyer memberships.
- Last-minute seat selections are comparatively cheaper but have limited options to choose from.
- When planning a round trip or connecting flight, choose seats separately for each flight included in your itinerary.
- For any changes in seat assignment, visit ‘Manage Reservations’ on the official page of Air Canada and make the required changes.
- Pay a change fee and fare differences (if any) to finalize your change.
- There is no seat selection fee for infants and children below 14. They can have seats beside the caretaker for free.
- Seat assignment fees will depend on when you assign a seat and your fare class.
How to Reserve Best Seat on Air Canada?
You can select your best seat in Air Canada within twenty-four hours of booking your tickets. You can choose your preferred seat while making your reservation, after booking your tickets, or during check-in. Air Canada charges a specific fee to select your favorite flight.
You can follow the simple steps mentioned below while making your reservation:
During Flight Booking-
- Visit the Air Canada official website.
- Navigate to the “My Bookings” option on the homepage.
- Choose a flight that fits your travel schedule.
- Enter the necessary passenger information.
- After viewing the seat map, select your preferred seat.
- Select the payment method
- Pay the amount and confirm your booking.
After Flight Booking-
- Visit the official website www.aircanada.com.
- Navigate to the “My Bookings” option on the homepage.
- Provide the booking number and the passenger’s last name.
- Select your preferred seat from the seating chart.
- After choosing a seat, select the payment method.
- Make your payment to confirm your seat.
- Visit the official website or log into your account by installing the Air Canada mobile app.
- Navigate to the check-in option.
- Find if your preferred seat is still available
- If your desired seat is available, then click on it.
- Select the payment method
- Pay the required amount.
- A mail will be sent to confirm your booking.
Air Canada Seating Options : Unveiling Luxurious
Air Canada passengers have the liberty to choose the seats according to their choice. That means Air Canada has different seating options for you. All the seats on the airline are not the same, some will offer comfort seating while others will offer access to more legroom. Also, it’s necessary for you to know about the facilities of the seat you have assigned in your flight bookings.
Knowing about different options for Air Canada seats will help you make better choices and save the cost of any changes later.
The different seating options available on Air Canada are listed below.
The economy seats of Air Canada are inconsistent across the fleet. Seat sizes and pitch vary between narrow and wide-body aircraft and within the same type of aircraft.
There are several perks of traveling in an Economy Class seat. These seats feature a USB port, an audio jack, headphones, and a hot meal, along with drinks,
Passengers can also avail themselves of free entertainment services on a touchscreen TV. If the passenger wants to read, he will be provided with a private study lamp. Additional comfort facilities like a blanket and a pillow can be availed for a small fee. These seats can be the best option if you want to travel on a budget.
You can book a Preferred seat if you plan to fly for short distances.
Preferred seats are characterized by an additional 10 cm or 4 inches of extra space. These seats are mostly bulkhead so that they can provide extra knee space. Therefore, they offer extra legroom space. These seats allow the passengers to exit first because they are near the front or at the aircraft’s exit.
Premium Economy Seats-
Premium Economy features an improved version of economy seats. Additional benefits include extra legroom space and 7 inches recliner seats in this cabin—amenities like reading lamps, seat power outlets, and laptop charging services are also provided.
Customers can also enjoy entertainment programs, including audiobooks, music, and TV shows, on an 11-inch touchscreen. Additionally, travelers might benefit from a larger baggage allowance and early check-in and boarding. Hence, providing a premium experience to the passengers.
Signature Class or Business Class Seats-
These are the most expensive flights available on Air Canada. Signature Class provides passengers with a luxurious traveling experience. Passengers can enjoy rare delicacies prepared by acclaimed Canadian chefs, along with premium wines and champagne. Signature Class seats can convert into a flat bed with an adjustable cushion, headrest, and back support.
Relaxing facilities, the lounge, and unique massage pods can be accessed. Other perks of business class are welcome drinks and hot-towel service, Lounge access, priority check-in, extra baggage allowance, and personal power supply.
What does Air Canada Preferred Seating means?
On certain flights, the most desirable seats are in the exit rows, bulkhead rows, and the first few rows of the cabin. Air Canada offers these preferred seating options in the front of the aircraft. Not only do these seats provide passengers with extra legroom, but they also offer easy access to the exit. While the seats come at an additional cost, they are well worth it for those who priorities a comfortable flying experience. If you want to upgrade your flight experience, Air Canada preferred seating is worth considering.
Most passengers prefer these seats because of extra legroom and good recline facilities. However, they may not be available on flights that Star Alliance or other partner airlines of Air Canada operate.
How to Purchase Preferred Seats on Air Canada?
Air Canada offers passengers to pick their preferred seats when booking, after booking, and before check-in. However, it’s always best to pick your preferred seat early (at the time of flight booking). There are fewer chances of available preferred seats at the time of check-in. You can assign seats using the Air Canada website, mobile app, or customer service. As making selections via customer service can add service charges, follow the steps given below to use the website/mobile app to pick Air Canada Preferred seats:
- Launch the website/mobile app of Air Canada.
- Click on the ‘Sign in’ option to get on the page to fill in the details.
- Provide your ‘Aeroplan number or email’ and ‘Password.’ Then, click the Sign in option to log into your Air Canada account.
- Look for the ‘Change seat’ link in your flight bookings.
- A seat map/chart will appear on your screen, making the seat selections.
- Click on the “Continue” option and pay the applicable amount.
Air Canada Seat Selection Fee
Now, you know that passengers must pay a small fee to select/pick a seat. The fees are different for all seats, and it also depends on your fare class and the timing of seat assignment. Prices for seats are as per the one-way flight segment and vary from class to class. Also, the seat selection charges often depend on your flight route and availability of seats.
You can look at the prices below for domestic and international flights to get an estimate.
|Seats||International Seat Selection Fee||Domestic Seat Selection Fee|
|Standard||$20- $50||$10- $50|
|Preferred||$17 to $299||$17 to $299|
Note: The above charges are subject to changes depending on various factors. It’s best to contact the airline or check the official site to know the price value of each Air Canada seat.
There are no additional fees to pick a seat on Air Canada during flight booking. However, any changes in seat selection or selecting seats after check-in will include extra charges.
Basic economy v/s Premium Air Canada Seats
Air Canada offers a variety of fares to help passengers pick one that suits them the best. Air Canada has basic economy fares with minimum facilities. While there are differences in amenities between basic and premium economy, they are relatively moderate. Both bundles charge for checked bags and advanced seat selection. Alternatively, more expensive options, such as Flex, Comfort, and Latitude, offer free bags and better amenities on discounts. Let’s look at the difference between premium and economy class in brief:
|FARE CLASS →
SERVICES & FACILITIES ↓
|Premium Air Canada||Economy Air Canada|
|Flight booking price||More than basic fare price||Standard price|
|Check in||Early check in||Last check in|
|Baggage services||2 free baggage is allowed on flight||2 free baggage is allowed on flight|
|Seats||Comfortable seats with extra legroom and up to 7 inches recline||Comfortable seats without recline or extra legroom|
|Boarding group||2nd group of 6||4 and 5 group of 6|
|Inflight entertainment services||Available||Available|
|Meals and snacks||Available||Only available on some international flights|
|Sleeping comforts||Available||Not available|
As shown in the table above, you can get more benefits on premium flights rather than on basic fares. But, basic fare is a good choice for you if you:
- Want to save money
- Travel short destination within country
- Completely fine with no extra facilities
- Are travelling alone
- Departing at daytime
People Asked Questions FAQs
Does Air Canada have Free Seat Selection?
You can choose your seat from the remaining standard seats within 24 hours of your flight at no cost.
What is the Air Canada Seat Selection Fee?
The seat selection fee charged by Air Canada ranges from $10 to $299, depending on the booking class, route, and other elements. Additionally, you can choose your seats by going to the “My Booking” option on the Air Canada homepage.
What does a Preferred Seat mean on Air Canada?
Preferred Seats are offered on several flights. They are the best seats on the plane. They can be found in the cabin’s front few rows, the bulkhead, and the exit. There is greater room for the legs in these seats than in the regular ones.
Can I select seats on the same day as the Air Canada Flight?
Yes, you can choose your Air Canada seats online up to two hours before the flight is due to depart. You can choose a seat through the official website or Air Canada’s official application.
How far in advance can I select my seat on Air Canada?
You can typically select your seat during the booking process or afterward through the ‘Manage My Booking’ option, depending on the ticket type.