Do you want to send your child who is below 14 to their grandparent’s place? You can take advantage of United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy. This policy of United airlines allows passengers 5 -14 years (sometimes 5- 17) to travel alone. The policy is also popular as UMNR policy. There are almost all facilities available on United airlines flights to take minors from one place to another, all safe. The friendly crew members of the airline are responsible enough to make the travel more fun for your young ones. If you want to know how? Go through each and every information on this page. In this article, we will cover everything about the unaccompanied minor policy.
– The terms & conditions
– Minor flight booking fees
– The booking process and
– The rules and restrictions for United Unaccompanied Minor.
Table of Contents
- 1 United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy 2023
- 2 How to Book Unaccompanied Minors with United Airlines?
- 3 Tips to ease the discomfort of United unaccompanied minors
- 4 What are the Perks of United Airlines Unaccompanied minor flights?
- 5 Can an unaccompanied minor fly internationally on United Airlines?
- 6 United Airlines Unaccompanied minor : Certain Limitations
- 7 Information On United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service:
- 8 How Much is the Unaccompanied Minor Fee on United?
- 9 How to Drop Off a Minor at the Airport for United Airlines?
- 9.1 On International Flights
- 9.2 Keep More Time
- 9.3 In-Flight
- 9.4 Bottom Line!
- 9.5 FAQs
- 9.5.1 Can I book a United Airlines flight for a minor using Miles?
- 9.5.2 What is the age requirement for United Airlines Unaccompanied minors?
- 9.5.3 Does United Airlines require ID for minors?
- 9.5.4 How early should the minor arrive at the airport for United airline’s flight departure?
- 9.5.5 What is the boarding group of Unaccompanied minors on United Airlines?
United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy 2023
Many people count on United Airlines for the safety of minors—especially the ones who are traveling without the presence of any caretaker. Children under United Airlines Unaccompanied minor policy get a safe experience. And if you have booked United Airlines flights for your child or are planning one, go through the policy. Look at the points below to understand each step the airline will take for the successful journey of your child.
- According to United Airlines, kids between 5-14 must travel under unaccompanied minor service. The same is optional for children between 15-17 traveling alone.
- Besides, when it comes to interconnecting flights, unaccompanied minors cannot travel. Also, the airline does not allow pets to board planes with minors.
- Moreover, United’s unaccompanied minor fee depends on food, seat, and advanced boarding service.
- Also, flight cancellation is easy with United Air.
- United Unaccompanied Minor rules allow children aged 5 – 17 to travel alone. You need to book the flights as usual and select the passenger as no adults.
- Also, United does not allow children under 5 to travel alone. They must travel with someone who is 18 or more.
- Additionally, to reserve a seat for a minor, choose Zero adults and mention the child’s age.
- , United Airlines designs a $150 Fee for one-way, which will apply to two children. But, the fee will get double in case of a round-trip.
- The airline provides priority boarding and complimentary food on unaccompanied minor flight bookings.
- Further, unaccompanied minors can only travel on flights that don’t have stopovers.
- So, children traveling alone can only travel on non-stop United flights. Also, direct flight options are available for United minors.
So, unaccompanied minors’ boarding starts from the time of check-in.
How to Book Unaccompanied Minors with United Airlines?
Booking United Airlines unaccompanied minor service is very simple. You can book flights for your child through the official website of United Airlines. Also, you can contact United Airlines.
Moreover, it is mandatory to keep all the required documents when flying. The child will get complete help from the representatives of United Airlines. Additionally, below are the ways to make flight reservations for unaccompanied minors
- First, go to United Airlines’ official website.
- Then, select the “Advance Search” tab.
- Now, change the number of children from 1 to 0.
- After that, please choose the number of minors as per their age.
- At last, follow the on-screen instructions and pay the final amount to confirm the booking.
You can call 1 (800) 864-8331 to make a flight booking for your child if you do not know the procedure. The number is also useful for getting all the information regarding minor flight bookings. So, you can talk to the representatives and clear your doubts. The representatives will help you book flights using United Airlines unaccompanied minor form. Besides, you need to check the spelling of the name before performing the final step.
If you want to make any changes to your flight bookings and want to know the steps, visit flyfaresky.com to get information on almost any service by United Airlines.
Book United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor flight using miles.
If you can book flight tickets for your child under 17, check it out on the official website of United Airlines. The usage of miles depends on the flight route. Thus, while some flights accept payment using miles, some don’t. That’s why you can use miles on flight bookings that accept payment with miles. Thus, whether you are booking flights for a minor or an adult, check the ‘Pay with miles’ option on your preferred flights.
Contact the airline staff if you need any help with using miles during the flight booking process. Call the reservation department of United Airlines, and they will guide you completely in exchange for a $25 service charge.
Tips to ease the discomfort of United unaccompanied minors
- Attach the identification card and relevant contact details to the child’s bag or dress. Ensure it’s attached so it doesn’t fall out or discomfort the minor.
- Allow your child to carry his/her favorite stuffed toy. It will help them to self-soothe in your absence.
- Introduce the child to the Airline staff who will accompany them on the flight. The assigned member has expertise in handling minors, and a good introduction will help your child release anxiety.
- Talk to the airline crew and instruct them if your child is on medication or has special needs. The airline staff may ask you to complete a form and provide complete details.
- Avoid providing any extra/restricted stuff in the child’s carry-on bag. Refer to the guidelines of Security check-in and see the list of restricted items.
- Inform the child about who will pick him/her at arrival time.
- Caretakers are allowed to provide meals (except any fluid edibles) to eat. The airlines will provide one free meal to the minor on flights with food availability.
What are the Perks of United Airlines Unaccompanied minor flights?
United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy aims to provide minors a secure and pleasant travel experience. Also, unlike many other airlines, United Airlines extends this service to minors under 17 travelling alone. However, it is completely optional for passengers aged 15- 17 to travel as an unaccompanied minor.
- The airline treats young customers with delightful complimentary snacks and refreshments.
- Also, the airline staff of United Airlines will ensure the comfort and satisfaction of minors.
- United Airlines provides passengers with priority boarding to make the journey even more special.
- The airline crew is sweet and polite to all the minor passengers and will make them feel the comfort of home.
- Caretakers can easily talk to the minors using the in flight communication device.
Can an unaccompanied minor fly internationally on United Airlines?
Only minors aged 5+ can fly alone on International or long-haul flights. The age group restrictions are the same on United Airlines domestic and international flights. Children under 5 can travel with an adult (a passenger who is 18 or older) but not alone. So, if your child is 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, or 17 years old, United Airlines will accept them as unaccompanied minors for international flights.
Unlike Domestic flights, United unaccompanied minor international flight bookings will have different terms and conditions. It’s best to check with the rules mentioned on minor flight bookings or any airline staff. It will ensure a trouble-free journey for your minor.
United Airlines Unaccompanied minor : Certain Limitations
Along with the many benefits of United Airlines unaccompanied minor service come the limitations that very few discuss. Have a look at the following to get the complete details about the limitations of booking a flight for your unaccompanied minor:
- Not all routes of United Airlines accept flight bookings for minors.
- United airline planes that accept flight bookings for minors will only offer 4 seats for minors traveling alone.
- United Airlines does not offer last-minute flight bookings for unaccompanied minors. One must book flights for minors at least 10 days before departure.
- Only one free meal is available for minor flight bookings with no extras. So, to get more facilities (including meals), you must include them in the flight bookings.
- If the caretaker forgets to mention the requirements for special needs children or children on medication, the airline will not be held responsible for any mishap.
Documents Required for United Airlines Minor Travel
Minors must provide a valid identification form when checking in with United Airlines. The documentations include the passport or government-issued ID of the child. Also, the airline might ask for the age proof of the child, such as a birth certificate. A consent letter or affidavit signed by the absent caretaker is necessary when travelling under minor policy. United Airlines also has specific forms for unaccompanied minors. Please remember that extra travel documents like visas are important for international flights.
United Unaccompanied Minors Age Restrictions
United is the best airline for unaccompanied minors. Besides, it is more cost-saving than other carriers. United Airlines serves children aged 15 to 17 on non-stop flights. Here you will understand the rules age-wise for both international and domestic flights.
- United Airlines does not permit children under 5 to travel as unaccompanied minors.
- Children between 5 to 14 can travel as unaccompanied minors on United airlines—especially children who are not flying with an 18+ passenger.
- Children aged between 15- 17 can travel alone on short-haul flights.
- Children aged 5 to 17 cannot travel as individuals. They come under United Airlines unaccompanied minor policy.
- A child who turns 18 after booking flights under the minor policy will still fly as a minor on united airlines.
- Four years old do not qualify for United Airlines unaccompanied minor bookings.
- Children with special needs cannot travel unaccompanied on United Airlines. A caretaker is a must in special cases.
As a result, it is important to provide the correct details of the child. It will ensure they get the right help from the time of check-in.
Information On United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Service:
It will help if you prepare your child per the unaccompanied minor policy of United Airlines. It will help them to enjoy a safe and happy journey.
- Mention a contact number for the child’s safety if the airline needs to contact you.
- Tell your child what kind of flying experience they will have.
- Give some games or books to your child to keep them engaged during travel.
- Also, make your child familiar with important information. Be sure to prepare them for all exceptional cases.
- United Airlines does not allow unaccompanied minors to check in online.
- Moreover, minors should be with their parents or guardians at the counter.
At the Airport
- A parent or guardian needs to meet a supervisor at the check-in counter.
- The representative will check and verify all the details of the minor passenger. Also, they will drop the child at the airport, and you must be available to collect your child.
- The airline also provides a special tag and a wristband to identify your child.
- Children will also get an envelope to keep minor forms, boarding passes, passports, etc.
- Parents will get a United Airlines phone number to know about their children’s journey.
- The crew staff will ensure the safety and comfort of United unaccompanied minors.
- Besides, if the child is on medications, you must inform the representatives beforehand.
At the Destination Airport
Parents or guardians must reach the airport at least 45 minutes before arrival. Some of the customs and immigration clearance are below for domestic flights.
- Avail of a gate passes through the counter.
- Show legal id proof at the airport.
- Take help from security to gather your child.
- Get flight details from the United Airlines app.
Some of the customs and immigration clearance are below for international flights.
- Reach the airport at the fixed arrival time of the flight.
- Show Id to the airlines’ agents.
- Wait for some time in the waiting area.
- When your child passes through costumes, you can meet them.
How Much is the Unaccompanied Minor Fee on United?
As per United Airlines minor policy, you must pay a fee of $150 for minor one-way flight bookings. The fee will include the facilities the child will get. You can also seek the assistance of an airline staff for your child at an additional cost. If you opt for a personal caretaker for your minor, he/she will make every effort to make your child comfortable.
Further, below is the chart for the flight booking cost for the travel of an unaccompanied minor on United Airlines.
|N0. Of Unaccompanied Minors||Fee For One -Way Service||Fee For Round-Trip Service|
Note:- At United Airlines, two unaccompanied minors can fly by paying an individual minor fee. But, when booking a round-trip, the amount will double.
How to Drop Off a Minor at the Airport for United Airlines?
Parents must take care of some important things when dropping their United unaccompanied minor at the airport. Furthermore, read the points below :
On International Flights
After reaching the airport, parents/guardians must visit the counter to complete the check-in process. You need to submit the following documents to the airline.
- Travel dates
- Parent’s name
- Child’s name
- Notarized signatures of absent parents
- Name of the person traveling with the minor
After check-in, airline staff will take the child for priority boarding.
Keep More Time
Parents must arrive at the airport at least three hours before the departure and get inside. That may take extra time with various factors. It may include getting wristbands for unaccompanied minors and completing the check-in process. United flight security checking and document verifications may also take some time.
The airline will provide your child with inflight entertainment and amenities. Also, a flight attendant will care for your child during the journey. The crew members will have a copy of all the child’s details. It will help to make the child comfortable in the new environment.
Hopefully, the above information will clear your mind. United Airlines Unaccompanied Minor policy has answers to all your queries about your child’s travel journey. The most important thing parents seek when sending their child alone is safety. United Airlines guarantees the child’s safety when taken away from you. You can contact the United Airlines customer service number to get more information.
Can I book a United Airlines flight for a minor using Miles?
Booking flights using miles completely depends on the flight eligibility for miles booking. You can select the flight route and check online whether you can book that flight using miles.
What is the age requirement for United Airlines Unaccompanied minors?
Children under five are not allowed to travel alone, and children above 14 do not qualify for the United Unaccompanied Minor policy. The age restriction can extend to 17 when flying on long-haul or non-stop flights.
Does United Airlines require ID for minors?
United Airlines won’t ask for a minor’s ID on domestic flight bookings. Yet, submitting a government-issued ID for more safety will be better. For international flights, a children’s Passport and ID are a must.
How early should the minor arrive at the airport for United airline’s flight departure?
United wants the caretakers to bring the minor passenger at least 30 minutes before the suggested check-in time. I will help to prepare the passenger for safe and assisted boarding.
What is the boarding group of Unaccompanied minors on United Airlines?
United Airlines offer preferred boarding for senior citizens, pregnant women, and unaccompanied minors. All the Minors on flight booking with United Airlines stay in the 1st boarding group.